Before two months ago, I had never bought red cabbage. So why did I suddenly decide to buy it? I found a recipe that sounded yummy. Even though I knew I would only use a small amount of the entire cabbage, I bought it anyways. After I made the recipe, and the cabbage sat in my fridge for a good week, I decided I better find another way to eat it.
© Nik_Merkulov / Dollar Photo Club
I tried it in a smoothie (which didn’t alter the taste at all, but totally boosted the nutritional benefits!) and a salad. Even after using it three different ways, I still had leftover red cabbage!
There are so many more ways you can eat red cabbage, so here are some suggested recipes for you to try.
- Red Cabbage from Allrecipes by Arita Droog
- Red Cabbage Beet & Bean Salad from love food eat (I have made this a few times simply using red cabbage, beets from a can, and pinto beans from a can. I drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar on it and season with salt and pepper)
- Shredded Pork and Pineapple Tacos from Kelsey’s Kitchen
- Asian Quinoa Salad from Two Peas and Their Pod
- Red Cabbage Slaw from Real Housemoms
- Roasted Cabbage from Chez Us
- Purple Resolution Smoothie from The Pioneer Woman
- Sauerkraut from The Homemade Pantry (book)
- Thai Peanut Noodle Salad from Our Best Bites
- Pork Chops with Braised Cabbage from Simply Recipes
- Turkey Pesto Panini from Baking with Blondie
- Black Bean Burrito Bowl from Simply Recipes
The Purple Juicefrom Touch. Taste. Design
- Purple Cake from Shape
Of course, you can do more with red cabbage than just eat it. You can also:
- Get rid of heartburn (under “Vegetable Juice”; from One Good Thing by Jillee)
- Dye Easter eggs (from Design Mom)
I have to get better at using up ingredients that I buy! I’m glad I was able to use the red cabbage in more than one way. I can’t wait to buy more red cabbage because I have plenty of recipes to refer to now!
How do you eat red cabbage?
Megan Walker says
What a great series! I am so guilty of the exact same thing, buying an ingredient and then not using it all. Thanks for sharing with Hump Day Happenings : )
Thanks for stopping by! I am excited to link up with Hump Day Happenings!